Guide: How to apply a patch to your CGM or Omnipod
Understanding how the special patch adhesive works
These are advanced, ISO-certified patches, and to get the most out of them we need to know how the patches work.
The key is in the adhesive maturation phase. The adhesive is activated as soon as it touches your skin. Over the next 24 hours it will mature to maximum strength, getting stronger and stronger with time. It is critical to protect your patch from moisture, sweat, and water during this period. After 24 hours, it's reached maximum sticking power.
Preparing to apply your Type One Style patch
We recommend applying the patch before bed and at least an hour after showering. This ensures the first part of the maturation phase is relatively uneventful.
Make sure your skin is completely dry & free from moisture or alcohol wipe residue.
Time to Apply your Type One Style Patch
- Peel out the free center sticker and apply it to your device. If you're using a Freestyle Libre or Omnipod, you may need to bend the patch to see the super thin cut line.
- Then, gently peel the patch off of the backing paper half-way, and fold the backing paper in half. Take great care not to touch the adhesive.
- Line the patch up around your device, and stick the top of the patch down. Then, slowly pull it down and over the device, smoothing it on as you go to avoid creasing.
- Then, firmly push the patch into the skin and smooth it down some more. Make sure the adhesive is pushed into as much of the skin as possible.
- Protect it and keep it dry for the next 24 hours to allow it to reach maximum strength. That's it! :)
Caring for your patch:
To ensure your patch stays on for up to 21 days, please make sure to do the following.
- Do not pick at or lift up the sides of the patch. If the adhesive gets wet, it will lose all of it's stick.
- Do not rip the tape off when you are ready to change your sensor, gradually pull it up and out from the bottom whilst stretching it. Aggressive ripping can cause skin trauma.
- It is best to take the patches off after a warm bath or shower.
- Do not apply the patch after a hot shower with damp skin, wait at least an hour to ensure your skin is no longer moist / affected by humidity.
Looking for more patches? You can shop over 250+ styles here.